[OM] Re: Tripod tribulations

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod tribulations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 02:00:27 -0700
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Well soon time to get serious and pick a new tripod. .....
>

> The 2530LVL (head leveling) also is very interesting, though looks
> primarily a distinct advantage for panos---I don't try that often,
> though would like to try more. I have never used one, ever. ( I recall
> Moose's caveat about buying a cam w/o holding it but never a tripod)

I'm way too out of touch with current models to offer any useful tripod
advice, except perhaps for table-top sizes, except the above.
> Perhaps the ability to go to ground level is not as critical with use of the
> Cullman extension arm--though is something extra to carry:
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Walt/Cullmann/>

Although Walt was a great proponent of the geared heads, for those on
the ground shots with the Cullmann arm, he used a Manfrotto 3025 3D
head.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5258-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3025_3025_3_D_Head.html>

It's hard to visualize from the picture how this head articulates. But,
as usual with Walt, it's the perfect head to get the camera down to
ground level from the end of the arm.

Moose