[OM] Re: Netherlands advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Netherlands advice
From: Tim Randles <tim.randles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:03:15 -0700 (PDT)
I love Holland a lot,  my 3 weeks there was not nearlyenough time to actually
relax and see as much as I wanted, so it was awhirlwind trip. I'd go back again
in a few years if I could arrangetime from the farm and gardens.

Zaandamis wonderful, with the working windmills and small preserved
villagethere to entertain yourself in. The shops were actually more likesecond
hand shops from pre 1950's, and there are some wonderful buys ofpottery, and a
lot of beautifully made antique sorts of things. Ifnothing else, I'd go back
there just to go into the small shops.

Theyhave an incredible clock museum there, which I could only spend about 1hour
in because it was so close to closing time. The clockworks thereare worth an
entire exposition and  the entry is about 6 euros. I tooklots of pics but not
many turned out well

Thereis a working windmill there grinding chalk for paint additives. I gotsome
outstanding photos of the wooden cogs and gears in there. I wishedI had time to
do some more sketching of the that.

TheKohler-Muller museum  in Otterlo near Arnheim was incredible, and thatalone
is a long day trip. The grounds are spectacular in the spring,and the
exibitions inside the huge building are probably some of thefinest pieces of
art in the entire world. There was Van Goghworks there, as well as Inuit
carvings. Bicycles are everywhere therefor rent, and in that park area, there
is 4 distinct ecosystems, youcould ride in a temperate rainforest and turn
around a corner and be ina semi-arid desert with cactus.. it is especially
humbling..

http://www.hotels.nl/location/kruller_muller/
Kröller-Müller MuseumHoutkampweg 6

                                        6731 AW  Otterlo

The Kröller-Müller Museum is known worldwide for its extensivecollection of
works by Vincent van Gogh. Helene Kröller-Müller’scollection comprises over
11,500 objets d'art: almost 800 paintings, aswell as about 5,000 drawings and
about 275 large and small sculptures,non-western objects and 500 industrial art
works.

I also liked Volendama lot, with its seaside cafes and the boats sailing
around. It was verycloudy and breezy when I was there, and I just cant seem to
takepictures well in overcast skys, I dont know much about my camerasettings.
The boats were sailing in full sail, the birds were soaringover the seawall
walkways, and the houses were very quaint built intothe sides of the polders.

I'm kinda jealous now..
;)

Cheers.. Tim

Fiona and I are off to the Netherlands for a week of her Easter holiday
in a couple of weeks or so (school holidays are out of sync...), a

Be a better friend, newshound, and