[OM] Re: Netherlands advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Netherlands advice
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:33:35 +0100
Donald wrote:

-----

>Fiona and I are off to the Netherlands for a week of her Easter holiday

>in a couple of weeks or so (school holidays are out of sync...), and

>while I have been a couple of times, it has been mainly to cities and

>the usual tourist traps.

>We're taking our bikes (if I can get Fiona's into reasonable shape!)
and

>will probably want to stay rural rather than urban.

>Any advice from resident locals will be greatly appreciated. We'll be

>travelling in our little Romahome Duo camper, so accommodation is not a

>problem.

>TIA, D.

-----

Sorry I did not react any sooner. Only now am I reading the messages
from two digests.

Like Bart said, renting a bike is very well possible on the islands, but
also just about anywhere in the Netherlands. Probably easiest to find
will be at most train stations where you can store your bike. Most also
repair and rent out bikes.

For the small country the Netherlands are there are numerous places to
visit. Depends very much on where in the country you will be and how far
you want to drive. I will describe just some:

Keukenhof: Allthough very touristic always worth a visit this time of
year, that is if you like flowers (but then I believe most brittish
people weem to)

Kinderdijk: Also quite touristic, but when have you last seen so many
windmills that still work? Many photographic opportunities, especially
when using the reflection in the water if you can find a windstill day.

Rotterdam: Modern architecture, maritime history and todays harbour.
Tours through the harbour or a waterbus to Dordrecht. I still believe
Rotterdam is worth a visit, just to photograph over the Maas at sunset.

Gouda, Delft Two old towns with historic centres.

Veluwe, Utrechtse Heuvelrug, Drenthe and Achterhoek: Many cycling
opportinities thour rural areas or even nature reserves. Deer roe, foxes
and wild boars can be seen if you have some luck.

Then to my part of the Netherlands; Zeeland.

Many old towns which still breathe the atmosphere of the golden age e.g.
Middelburg, Veere, Zierikzee, Sluis to name a few

Eastern Scheldt surge barrier where we hope to keep the water out of the
prvince after the floods from 1953 which killed over 1500 people in the
south-west of the Netherlands.

Rural areas/ Nature reserves:  Noord Beveland where you can walk between
scottish highlanders (the cows that is), Saeftinge and het Zwin which
are nature reserves where the tides still come in. Guided tours and you
will need rubber boots. Many types of birds can be seen in both.

Vlissingen, where you can see  very large marchant vessels sailing in
and out of the harbour. Very busy river and the best place to see the
vessels passing by in all their glory.

Campers (motorhomes) are quite welcome in the Netherlands, but in many
parts not that much has been done to accomodate them. In most places you
will need to stay at a camping because of the lack of "regulated
overnight places" like they are called here. Also draining your sewage
tanks is limited to campings. Use any possibility to drain them. If you
want to visit Middelburg you are quite welcome to park in my driveway
for the night. Not spacious, but you will have electricity and if I a
free I can give you a tour in the areRegards,

Wiliam