[OM] Re: OM and aperture

Subject: [OM] Re: OM and aperture
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:37:58 -0400
Johan,

I wrote the below linked post in response to a question about adapters but
it took me until today to find it in the archives. Hopefully it should help
your understanding of the mechanics in lens mounts.

http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2007-02/msg01611.html

To expand on what Jez wrote regarding how the OM's tabs work:

The OM lens mount has two tabs, one for stopping down the aperture and one
for communication between the lens and body. The stop down tab is activated
by a lever in the body and does its job after the shutter has been fired.
This tab is also linked inside the lens to the depth of focus preview
button. The communication tab tells the meter how many stops the fully open
reading must adjusted by to give a reading as if you had taken one through
the stopped down lens. Since all readings are taken through the lens there
is no need for the meter to know the lenses actual aperture value.

In the OM design there is no facility for the lens to tell the body what the
actual aperture is. Depending upon your personal position this could be seen
as a small failing of the OM system as it follows that there is no way for a
viewfinder display of the aperture setting in use. It is possible that the
OM mount would have evolved in the way that the Nikon F mount did to add
this feature but alas that was not to be.

HTH, Dan S.