[OM] Re: Tripod tribulations

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod tribulations
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:40:23 -0700
I'm definitely sold on CF. The CF legs have some noteworthy trade-offs
when you look into them. You get the lightest weight and greatest
stiffness with the fewest leg segments and no center column (also
lower cost). The problem is that the collapsed length might be too
long to fit into a suitcase.

The Gitzo 1227 works fairly well with the 400/4 + 1.4X TC combination
or the 750/6 but was almost useless with the 1000/11 Zuiko in the
wind. I've switched over to a short column on the 1227. The only time
I needed the long column was when trying to shoot over the top of tall
weeds or fences. The 1227 legs seem to be good general purpose legs
that can handle the majority of 35mm lenses.

If I were to look for a stiffer tripod I would probably get a Gitzo
3540XLS. 78" high, no center column, weighs 4.3 lbs.

Before getting the Gitzo 1227 legs I had a Bogen 3001 pro (similar to
the 3021 pro but lighter + reduced capacity). The boom wasn't steady
enough for high  magnification macro.

I got the smallest RRS head for use with a table top tripod. It's
action is not as smooth as the Acratech. Searching the internet turned
up others who mentioned RRS as not having smooth action.

A number of people using LF gear also use the 410 geared head. They
seem to be roughly evenly split between saying it works well vs.
saying it develops enough play in the gearing to be frustrating. The
only alternative mentioned is a 3-way pan tilt head. (or speculation
that the $$$$ Arca Swiss cube would work well)

Although the RRS lever clamp won't work with all adapter plates,
overall it has been well worth getting.

-jeff