[OM] Re: Qunatum rebate

Subject: [OM] Re: Qunatum rebate
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:52:25 -0700
On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Leandro DUTRA
<leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2008/3/28, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > A flash meter gets those ratios dead-on, works right 100% of the time
> >  and at a fraction of the price of those TTL thingies.
>
> Yes — but for those of us who still haven't your practice and
> knowledge, and who will most likely use only one flash unit, TTL
> doesn't seem so bad.

Different tools work well for different people.If you are going to be
taking multiple pictures in a room of a party or something similar, it
seems like an incident flash meter would be ideal.

However if you are going to be taking pictures under unique and
changing conditions for almost every shot, some type of auto flash
could be very useful.

Just putting the remote flashes on auto can be quite successful. I
tried that several times with T32s but couldn't get reliable remote
triggering nor keep enough batteries charged.

The biggest problem with a single flash mounted near the camera is
that the light falls off with distance. The background often ends up
too dark.

I'm somewhat surprised how well a multiple flash setup can be moved
from room to room without changing either flash or camera settings
when they are on manual. The main reason I haven't invested in a flash
meter is that almost all of my shots can be done with exposure
bracketing and if my settings are off, the bracketing will save the
shot.

-jeff