[OM] Re: Zuiko 24-40mm f4 has arrived

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 24-40mm f4 has arrived
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:32:21 -0700
Paul Yates wrote:
> It seems that Moose may be correct on this one. The whole front group is
> mounted in an inner cylinder which slides forward as you zoom from 40mm down
> to 24mm. Looks very much like the photos I have seen of the 35-70/3.6.

I was holding a 35-70/3.6 up against the pics you took of the 24-40 on
the screen when making the comparison. Which one yours is more like may
not much matter for the matter of a hood, as the outer barrel on which
the hood clamps on the f3.6 is also 60 mm in diameter.

Are you sure which lens you are talking about, Andrew? The eSIF
specifies 57mm for the slide-on hood of the f4 and 60mm (which I also
measured on mine) for the f3.6.

The hoods may be quite different, though. As I understand it, the f4
lens lengthens toward the longer focal lengths in the conventional way,
but I've never seen one.

Another thought occurs. If the two are indeed as closely related as it
appears, you may wish to re-think taking it apart yourself.  According
to John (and the unexpected and unfortunate experiences of occasional
others reported here) there are two races of loose ball bearings in the
35-70 - with 185 tiny ball bearings in each.

As I recall, simply unscrewing the front of the lens frees at least one
set, some of which fall out and some inside, depending on how you are
holding it. So if you must do it yourself, be sure to do the disassembly
in a tray with raised sides, so you don't lose any. Also be sure to
refer to the lens diagrams available on Mark's wonderful hardware info
page. <http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/olympus_hw.html>

What's involved in putting them back in, I don't know, as my 35-70
hasn't needed service. I'm pretty sure if it ever does, it will go to
John. I've done a bit of lens disassembly and minor repairs, but that
one sort of spooks me.

Moose