[OM] Re: medium format film scanners

Subject: [OM] Re: medium format film scanners
From: "Clay Nichols" <Clay.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:29:38 -0400
John

I have tried almost every Coolscan scanner (and many other dedicated film
scanners) and I been disappointed by the results. I have gone completely to a
flat bed scanner. The scans are great and they are mechanically less prone to
jams and other similar problems. Right now I am using an EPSON V750 Pro. Great
scans but almost everything looks better after a quick buff up with Photoshop
or similar program and the V750 is no exception.

As far as computing power, you are going to generate large files that need to
be processed. That means as much processor speed, RAM and disk space as you can
afford.
Hope this helps.
Clay Nichols
Columbia, SC

>>> <om4t@xxxxxxxxxxx> 3/31/2008 12:53 PM >>>

If anyone has experience with using a high end medium format film scanner I
will appreciate whatever comments they might have to offer including info on
the minimum computing power required to do justice to the scanner.

In particular, someone has suggested that the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED is
worth considering.

I know that this subject has been aired before and so to save list space taking
up old news any off-list responses will be appreciated.

Thanks

John Hudson