[OM] Re: today's funny story

Subject: [OM] Re: today's funny story
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 13:33:58 -0400
Shades of Denver (near bottom of page)
<http://www.cds.caltech.edu/conferences/1997/vecs/tutorial/Examples/Cases/failures.htm>

I once designed and implemented a receiving and disbursement system for
an automated 300,000 square foot warehouse.  I remember various events
that might have been fiascos:  a massive rainstorm and equally massive
roof leak dumping hundreds of gallons of water onto merchandise in the
storage area, scanner and human errors that would attempt to put two
pallets into a single storage bin or a large pallet into a small bin, a
broken axle on a 50 foot tall stacker crane that caused it to fall over
sideways in the aisle and block access to 15% of the warehouse, damaged
or otherwise unreadable bar code labels, etc, etc.  Fortunately, the
system was designed to withstand that sort of stuff.  So I think I
understand the likely problems with the baggage systems... but have not
an ounce of sympathy.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt