[OM] Re: north American OO camera

Subject: [OM] Re: north American OO camera
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:03:56 +1100
That was my experience a few years ago with a similar event where we
passed a few 'disposable' cameras around the globe. Take one shot and
post it on.
The international one moved swiftly across Europe, Asia,
Australiasia, South America and back to the UK in about 6-8 months.
The (first) North America only camera got bogged down fast with 'I
haven't had time', 'The weather's lousy', 'Who's going to own the
copyright?' (!) and similar issues. Eventually it disappeared down a
black hole. The second attempt had similar problems and even had to
be liberated from one person with a personal, almost threatening
visit ('No, hand it over now!'). It all took two years. There were
threats of litigation, demands that 'My shot be removed from the site/
filmstrip/planet', accusations that the person scanning the film had
done a lousy job, you name it. Meanwhile, the international one
zipped around, images were displayed, everyone said 'thankyou, great'
and got on with life.
Draw whatever conclusions you wish. :-)
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx