[OM] I think the E-510 is the DSLR for me....

Subject: [OM] I think the E-510 is the DSLR for me....
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 12:40:45 -0400
Hi all,

Due to too many demands on my time, I've read only a few digests in
the last year and a half. I'm hoping that will change soon. So, if
what I'm asking about the E-510 has already been endlessly discussed
write me off list if you'd rather not rehash the subject in public.
I'd like to hear from anyone who actually uses this camera. An
upcoming trip to Eastern Europe in May (more about that in a separate
post) has got me thinking that maybe I really don't want to take
rolls and rolls of film with me.  So, in no particular order:

The body itself: What are your actual experiences with the routine
functionality of the body? Looking over the specs it seems that this
particular body will make a good transition from my OM-1 & OM-2 &
2N.  So long as I can set the mode to manual or aperture priority and
adjust the ISO and the exposure comp when necessary, I'll be happy.

The in body IS: will it work well with OM lenses and third party OM
mount lenses?  What's your overall impression of Oly's IS with either
digital or analog lenses?

What's your overall impression of using OM and third party OM mount
lenses in bright light with IS turned on or off?

The viewfinder: I've read that the magnification/brightness could be
better when compared to an OM body. I'm guessing the brightness issue
is directly related to the mirror which is smaller than that of an OM
body. However, I'm curious about the specs that say the field of view
is 95 % and the magnification is 0.92 w/50mm lens @ infinity. Does
this mean that 95% of what I see is what ends up on the image file?
The OM-2N specs list FOV of 97% and magnification of 0.92 w/50mm lens
@ infinity. Or, to put it another way...in the E-510 will I see a
little less width that's a little bit dimmer compared to the OM. Or,
am I overlooking something here?

More on viewfinder: DPReview particularly knocks ease of use for
those, like me, who wear glasses. My glasses are primarily for
reading with some distance correction. How about it fellow glasses
wearers, what's your experience?

More on viewfinder:  Do you have much trouble in good light manually
focusing OM lenses?

The kit lenses: I'm looking at the 14-42mm/40-150mm combo. What do
you think of them? I'd prefer to have the faster 14-54mm but am not
ready to shell out the extra $425 or so for my first venture into
digital. Same reason I won't consider the E-3.

Sensor cleaning/dust removal: Does it do the job well?

Battery life:  Do you have a feel for an average amount of exposures
under daylight conditions per fully charged battery and without using
the live view feature very much? I'll have a spare battery regardless
of which brand/model I buy.

Pricing: Right now it looks like either B&H, Adorama, Cameta or
Amazon has the best price--approximately US$650 + shipping--among
reputable, hassle free dealers. Any suggestions on finding a new kit
cheaper in the US?

What surprises, positive or negative, did you encounter after using
the E-510 for a while?

Comments on other aspects of the body and lenses not asked above?

Thanks in advance.

Gary