[OM] Re: I think the E-510 is the DSLR for me....

Subject: [OM] Re: I think the E-510 is the DSLR for me....
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 19:00:20 +0200
Hi Gary,

While I do not have any experience with the E-510, I did have the
E-410 and now have the E-3. I also have experience with the lenses
you mention.

Firstly, I am pretty sure that with the latest firmware updates, the
IS system on the E-510 works the same as on the E-3, meaning that it
does work with non-digital lenses, by setting the focal length
manually in the IS menu. Generally, I find the IS works well,
although of course there is little use for it in bright light where
you will presumably be able to use high shutter speeds.

The lenses: DO spend the extra for the 14-54mm. I got my E-410 with
the 14-42 and very quickly realized that it is what it is--a cheap
kit lens with considerable barrel distortion at the wide end, flimsy
build quality and mediocre image quality. I upgrade to the 14-54mm
within the first month, and it was a big improvement over the 14-42.

I wear glasses all the time, and have no problem using the VF on
either the E-410 or the E-3.

Finally, the sensor cleaning system works great. I now live in a
pretty dusty environment (Alicante is basically surrounded by a
desert-like landscape, so there is always a lot of dust in the air).
Yet, I have not needed to clean the sensor yet--and I take many
pictures with significant areas of blue sky in them.

Nathan

On 6-apr-2008, at 18:40, Gary Teller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Due to too many demands on my time, I've read only a few digests in
> the last year and a half. I'm hoping that will change soon. So, if
> what I'm asking about the E-510 has already been endlessly discussed
> write me off list if you'd rather not rehash the subject in public.
> I'd like to hear from anyone who actually uses this camera. An
> upcoming trip to Eastern Europe in May (more about that in a separate
> post) has got me thinking that maybe I really don't want to take
> rolls and rolls of film with me.  So, in no particular order:
>
> The body itself: What are your actual experiences with the routine
> functionality of the body? Looking over the specs it seems that this
> particular body will make a good transition from my OM-1 & OM-2 &
> 2N.  So long as I can set the mode to manual or aperture priority and
> adjust the ISO and the exposure comp when necessary, I'll be happy.
>
> The in body IS: will it work well with OM lenses and third party OM
> mount lenses?  What's your overall impression of Oly's IS with either
> digital or analog lenses?
>
> What's your overall impression of using OM and third party OM mount
> lenses in bright light with IS turned on or off?
>
> The viewfinder: I've read that the magnification/brightness could be
> better when compared to an OM body. I'm guessing the brightness issue
> is directly related to the mirror which is smaller than that of an OM
> body. However, I'm curious about the specs that say the field of view
> is 95 % and the magnification is 0.92 w/50mm lens @ infinity. Does
> this mean that 95% of what I see is what ends up on the image file?
> The OM-2N specs list FOV of 97% and magnification of 0.92 w/50mm lens
> @ infinity. Or, to put it another way...in the E-510 will I see a
> little less width that's a little bit dimmer compared to the OM. Or,
> am I overlooking something here?
>
> More on viewfinder: DPReview particularly knocks ease of use for
> those, like me, who wear glasses. My glasses are primarily for
> reading with some distance correction. How about it fellow glasses
> wearers, what's your experience?
>
> More on viewfinder:  Do you have much trouble in good light manually
> focusing OM lenses?
>
> The kit lenses: I'm looking at the 14-42mm/40-150mm combo. What do
> you think of them? I'd prefer to have the faster 14-54mm but am not
> ready to shell out the extra $425 or so for my first venture into
> digital. Same reason I won't consider the E-3.
>
> Sensor cleaning/dust removal: Does it do the job well?
>
> Battery life:  Do you have a feel for an average amount of exposures
> under daylight conditions per fully charged battery and without using
> the live view feature very much? I'll have a spare battery regardless
> of which brand/model I buy.
>
> Pricing: Right now it looks like either B&H, Adorama, Cameta or
> Amazon has the best price--approximately US$650 + shipping--among
> [...]

Nathan Wajsman
nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General photography:
http://www.nathanfoto.com