[OM] Re: I think the E-510 is the DSLR for me....

Subject: [OM] Re: I think the E-510 is the DSLR for me....
From: "Leandro DUTRA" <leandro.gfc.dutra@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:45:30 -0300
2008/4/6, Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>  The body itself: What are your actual experiences with the routine
>  functionality of the body? Looking over the specs it seems that this
>  particular body will make a good transition from my OM-1 & OM-2 &
>  2N.

I am accepting donations of OM-2N!  ;-)

Just kidding, if you decide to sell it, it should still have a nice
selling value.

>  So long as I can set the mode to manual or aperture priority and
>  adjust the ISO and the exposure comp when necessary, I'll be happy.

Yes, you can.

>  The in body IS: will it work well with OM lenses and third party OM
>  mount lenses?  What's your overall impression of Oly's IS with either
>  digital or analog lenses?

It is quite useful, specially on the long end.  Won't be as nice as
having a tripod and time to set it, nor will it compensate for quick
snapshots where you failed entirely to stabilise yourself, but it will
perhaps make you leave your tripod at home more often.

>  The viewfinder: I've read that the magnification/brightness could be
>  better when compared to an OM body. I'm guessing the brightness issue
>  is directly related to the mirror which is smaller than that of an OM
>  body. However, I'm curious about the specs that say the field of view
>  is 95 % and the magnification is 0.92 w/50mm lens @ infinity. Does
>  this mean that 95% of what I see is what ends up on the image file?

No, the other way round.  What you see is 95% of the image you will shoot.

>  The OM-2N specs list FOV of 97% and magnification of 0.92 w/50mm lens
>  @ infinity. Or, to put it another way...in the E-510 will I see a
>  little less width that's a little bit dimmer compared to the OM. Or,
>  am I overlooking something here?

Pretty much that.

>  More on viewfinder: DPReview particularly knocks ease of use for
>  those, like me, who wear glasses. My glasses are primarily for
>  reading with some distance correction. How about it fellow glasses
>  wearers, what's your experience?

It could be better, but the optional EP-6 eyecup may help.

>  More on viewfinder:  Do you have much trouble in good light manually
>  focusing OM lenses?

You will want focus confirmation.  For that, you have four
alternatives.  One is doing it manually, where the viewfinder can
really hinder if your sight is not A-OK; other is gluing a Dandelion
chip to your OM-Four Thirds adapter; the third is buying a Fotodiox
adaptar already with the chip, from the chip makers; fourth is getting
a KatzEye focusing screen, but that would be best left to a dedicated
camera body because it will interfere with the functioning of the Four
Thirds lenses, I don't remember how — it seems to me it was nothing
crippling but a mere inconvenience.

>  The kit lenses: I'm looking at the 14-42mm/40-150mm combo. What do
>  you think of them? I'd prefer to have the faster 14-54mm but am not
>  ready to shell out the extra $425 or so for my first venture into
>  digital. Same reason I won't consider the E-3.

They seem to be the best kit lenses around, and very compact and light
to.  Just get the kit and, when you can, the 12–60mm and the 5–20cm,
both piezo (fast) focusing, fast units.

>  Sensor cleaning/dust removal: Does it do the job well?

Yes.

>  Battery life:  Do you have a feel for an average amount of exposures
>  under daylight conditions per fully charged battery and without using
>  the live view feature very much? I'll have a spare battery regardless
>  of which brand/model I buy.

Some 200 exposures or more.

--
skype:leandro.gfc.dutra?chat              Yahoo!: ymsgr:sendIM?lgcdutra
+55 (11) 3040 7300 r155                 gTalk: xmpp:leandrod@xxxxxxxxxx