[OM] Snatching Defeat ...

Subject: [OM] Snatching Defeat ...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:26:13 -0700
I have to say that I got caught up in the excitement over the Sigma-
DP1, a small pocketable camera with the potential for image quality on
a par with a DSLR. The lack of a modest zoom was disappointing, but
maybe understandable to keep the size small and if the little lens is
a really good one...   A viewfinder was a big plus, but not being
built in was a minus. Oh well. It may snag every time you put it into
a pocket, but at least it has a cute retro look like a camera from
sixty years ago. Sure pricey though.

Then I saw some images, preproduction admittedly, and saw with some
careful looking that, although sharp, the Foveon high ISO noise
problem had not been dealt with and was considerably worse than that
on any DSLR.

This morning dpreview passed on the info of an update to the Sigma raw
processing software to correct the color reproduction by removing the
green in the corners of DP1 images. Wonderful. An image peculiarity
that can only be corrected by the maker's software.  Also announced
was firmware which will add "composition grids for most shooting
modes."  Apparently marketing schizophrenia has seized Sigma and they
expect to sell a camera with entry level features for 5 times the
price without a zoom lens and a noise level no better(and maybe worse)
than a Fuji point and shoot.

Excitement gone and skepticism high, at least for now.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA