[OM] Re: Long Lens for Yellowstone

Subject: [OM] Re: Long Lens for Yellowstone
From: Maarten Schulte <maarten.schulte@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:36:23 +0200
Alan,

The 3rd party lens that comes to mind is the Sigma 50-500zoom.
I had one once for 3 day's but the auto focus was not functioning
properly.
The dealer told me that this was a common problem with this lens.
I hope that Sigma solved the problem since then (1.5 years ago)

With the 2x tele converter you would get a similar lens.
I picked up somewhere, however, that auto focus wasn't really great.
I use the 50-200 with the 1,4x and very pleased with the results.

Please be aware that it's hard to get sharp pictures with this type of
lens.
Atmospheric disturbance etc. have a huge effect on the results.
Especially when you cover a large distance. Patience and getting as
close as you can will give you the best results.
Or you must get out of your bed really early.

Hope this helps

Maarten

p.s. Enjoy your trip!!