[OM] Re: Long Lens for Yellowstone

Subject: [OM] Re: Long Lens for Yellowstone
From: "john adam architect" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:52:42 +0930
I have the 50-200mm SWD and often use the 2x converter with it on an E3
My conclusion after 3 months is that the 2x converter is not great. You
double the f-stop when you put in on. You can only use centre focus not
area/multi. For wildlife I think you need to have as fast a lens as possible
and area/multi-focus so that movement can be captured.
I would like to try the 1.4 - allows a bit of extended reach, still allows
area/multi-focus points and drops less light than the 2x. Also the MTF
charts on Olympus sites show the 1.4 to be sharper.
I think the 2x is good for moon shots or anything which is far away but
relatively still.

john adam architect  RAIA
 10/240 flinders street  adelaide  sa  5000
T +61 [0]8 8359 2737
M +61 [0]411 524 054
F +61 [0]8 8359 2737
E john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

this email is intended only for the named recipient[s] if you receive this
in error please notify the sender and delete the original