[OM] Re: A question regarding my online photo gallery

Subject: [OM] Re: A question regarding my online photo gallery
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:04:45 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:
> Marc
>
> Now, you know that I'm no expert, but here is what I think.
>
> Your PC is likely to have the light and colour correction sorted with some
> external gizmo like a Hueyl if it doesn't, the remainder is conjecture on my
> part.
>
> The PC's picture is likely to be what you want to see since you sorted
> everything out on it.  The laptop's display might have varying brightness
> depending on your power settings; in addition, it might be set up for a
> different colour space.

I profile both my desktop Samsung and the screen of my Sony VAIO laptop
in the same way using the Monaco Optix colorimeter and their software.
but they are still not the same. Even through the Sony was one of the
best looking laptop displays when I was shopping, it has a narrower
prime viewing angle and, I suspect, a narrower colour gamut. The Monaco
software provides a way to match monitors, but I assume that would
involve limiting the better one, which I don't want to do.

I've tried processing images in the field on the laptop and found it
frustrating compared to working at home.
> This one:
>
> http://www.parknmeter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=58
>
> looked very slightly warmer on my Mac in Firefox (v3 beta, an excellent
> browser for the Mac) than in Safari (which will be corrected for your
> lightspace)..  The other one, the sunset out to sea, looked
> exactly the same.

Both images have a profile tag of sRGB. That means they 'should' look
the same on any browser, colour aware or not. Firefox doesn't adjust for
tags, but assumes sRGB, which they are. Safari reads the colour tags and
renders them as sRGB.

So actually seeing a difference in one and no difference in the other
seems at least logically unlikely/impossible. I personally find it quite
difficult to judge small colour differences between applications.

Moose