[OM] Re: a few pictures from last month

Subject: [OM] Re: a few pictures from last month
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 21:23:37 -0300

> The setting is the Salar de Uyuni, a huge salt flat. The subject appears
> to be where the salt is being mined. You can see where each pile of salt
> is in the rectangular are out of which it was cut.
>
> As you say, Wayne provides some wonderful images of the altiplano, but
> is somewhat laconic about it. Roger Wesson visited some of the same area
> in 2005 and provides much explanatory text accompaning images of many of
> the same places & things on this and the surrounding pages of his site.
> <http://www.world-traveller.org/site/South_America_2005_-_Days_of_salt>
>
> Moose

Yes, I probably should write more about these pics. But I've learned in
conversations that most people, and understandingly so, get bored quickly
with me talking about these trips. :-) I could tell stories for hours if I
could talk. Writing seems much more difficult.

Roger mentions quite a bit about the challenges that the altitude presents
to breathing, and the risk of sunburn. Nothing he says about that is
exagerrated.

Roger took more or less the same tour, but he took it only one way and went
the opposite direction that I did. We made a loop that took in some things
he likely didn't see. He came over from the Chilean border, which we didn't
do.

It doesn't sound like Roger ate as well as we did. Our guides BBQ'd some
steaks on the shore of the island in the middle of the salt flat for our
first meal.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/4701606_cwWTF#P-3-12

They set up some tables on the shore of the island, and fed us steaks, coke,
salads, etc. The food was basically like that for the whole three days. We
definitely got our money's worth :-)

And back in Uyuni, at one of the better restaurants on the plaza square, we
had the typical Bolivian food of Llama charque. I loved it, but admittedly,
most our group ate very little of it.

Wayne