[OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and res

Subject: [OM] Re: Some interesting commentary on sensor size, pixel pitch and resolution
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:27:05 -0400

C.H.Ling wrote:
> To me, I will only treat this as a subjective personal opinion.
>
> - His assumption about the poorer resolving power of the EF70-200 F4 than
> his N85/2 is not proofed, many zooms perform very well at center when
> stopped down.

I don't think he made any assumption about the resolving power of the
zoom other than it was likely less than his 85mm Nikon prime.  He simply
took two pictures... one with an old zoom on a 5D and the other with a
top notch Nikon 85mm prime on a D200.  Then he shows a 1:1 pixel crop
and shows that the 5D image is superior.  And, by the way, it is very
much superior... not just a bit.

> - He mixed up a very simple thing - screen resolution and print resolution,
> if he is right then I can get a good 13" (the width of my 17" monitor) wide
> print with a 1280x1024 pixel image.

I can't find anything in his article that would support your statement
above.  The only statement he makes about prints is that a print made at
the same low resolution as the screen shots shown here would be 1.1
meter wide.  He makes no comment whatsoever about the quality of such a
print nor does he imply that one should make such a print.

> - Using JPEG is a poor approach. Anyway, compare a 10MP image with 12.5MP is
> not fair. One can download the converted RAW of D300 and 5D in dpreview to
> make a comparison. I just did that and see no big difference between the
> two.

Regardless, I do see a big difference in his paired images.  Are they fake?

> - The new 4/3 lenses generally has better resolution than the old lenses,
> their MTF is specified at 60lp/mm rather than the general 30lp/mm for 35mm
> system.

How did the lens slip in here or don't I understand?  I thought we're
talking about the diffraction limitations of the sensor itself.  A good
lens doesn't help beyond a certain point and given aperture.

Chuck Norcutt