[OM] Re: [OT] Eboy's negative feedback policy

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Eboy's negative feedback policy
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 16:18:22 -0400
Ali,

It depends on if you are the buyer or the seller in the situation. As a
buyer you can post still post positive, neutral or negative for your seller.
As a seller you will only be able to post a positive feedback response to
your buyers.

This change has not yet come into effect the scheduled date has not been
fully announced but I believe that it should be by policy the end of May. It
has not been clear from the announcements if it will apply to all
transactions overnight or if a rolling changeover will occur.

I don't personally think it will change the way I use eBay or the feedback
system, and I am a pretty frequent buyer and seller. I can see however that
it creates a new problem while trying to solve an old problem (as eBay often
seem to do). Before the change there is a possibility for abuse of the
system by sellers holding the threat of negative feedback in retaliation for
negative feedback received from a buyer. Now sellers potentially subject to
buyers who use the threat to extort sellers into refunds or discounts for
any issue they may take with a sellers performance however trivial. I
suspect that if as a seller one performs ethically and honestly you will not
have issues. The change will definitely bring bad sellers more immediately
to attention in the community. However the "bad seed" buyers will be
rewarded by the change with little way to flag those buyers as an community
problem.

Dan S.