[OM] OT Eyeglasses

Subject: [OM] OT Eyeglasses
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:16:31 -0400
        I need some advice. After 12 years with the same pair of glasses I've
had to
replace them. It's not that the distance prescription is very far off, it's
that the lenses and frames are so beat up that they're no longer useable.
Additionally I'm 47 and need different glasses for close up work.

The question I have is how did you find a good optometrist and optician. I
went to a chain (America's Best) with the idea that they'd be inexpensive
enough that I could do some experimenting. I didn't expect miracles. I
expected to have some assemble line feel to it and that the frames would not
be the top of the line and so forth. The experience turned out to be just
awful. I liken them a vendor that has a very limiting knowledge of
photography and a line of fairly good looking but so-so performing PS
cameras calling themselves a camera store. The masses who have limited taste
and demands would be happy.

The problem  is that I need a fairly strong prescription both in spherical and
cylinder and I'm very sensitive to distortion. I'm sensitive enough that it's
one of the things for in the windshield that I check. In fact it's one of
only two must haves in a vehicle. The windshield must be low enough in
distortion and the seats must be comfortable, all else is negotiable in the
price.

America's Best put me in a pair of progressive bifocals which were the worst
things I've ever delt with. I didn't think I was going to live long enough to
adjust with them.

While I'm price sensitive I'm willing to pay for quality work as long as it is
quality work and It's doesn't cross over into becoming a sucker. Thanks in
advance. -Doug