[OM] Re: OT Eyeglasses

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Eyeglasses
From: Doug <doug9345@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:18:49 -0400
On Saturday, April 26, 2008 17:09, Jim Couch wrote:
> Doug,
>
> A few more tips:
>
> When I had to go to bifocals, I asked my optometrist about bifocals vs
> progressives, his response was that I would have a lot of adjusting to
> do with either, but it would probably be best to start with the bifocals
> as they are easier to adapt to. Once I got used to those I could give
> progressives a shot. FWIW, I am still using the bifocals two years later
> - and have no desire to do progressives after playing with a pair in his
> office.
>
> I am not as sensitive to distortion as you are, but it is an issue for
> me as well. I think that you will find you will be hard pressed to get
> used to the progressives. For me, the (for lack of a better phrase)
> transition zones are to akin to distortion.
>
> If you are like me, you will unfortunately probably wind up with more
> than one pair of glasses. I use the bifocals 90% of the time, but for
> some things still use single vision lenses. I have never adapted to
> cycling with the bifocals, and anything where I need to see my feet
> (rock climbing, ect) they are totally out of the question. I often times
> head out for a weekend with a quiver of glasses! :) :(
>
> One thing when shopping for an optometrist, ask what their guarantee is,
> most of the better ones will work with you until things are right.
> Willingness to do so shows me a level of confidence in their ability to
> get things right for you.
>
> Jim Couch

>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

>Your experience with progressives hit home.  My optometrist (not an
>optician) convinced me that I should have a set so I tried them.  After
>two days I insisted that he take them back as I found them very
>disorienting.  Fortunately, since it was at his urging that I got them
>in the first place, he took them back no questions asked and gave me a
>pair of reading glasses and distance glasses in exchange.  But he is not
>part of any chain.  Just a lone guy about 75 years old who still works
>part time assisted by his wife.

>A couple more points.  After I told him that I thought I would never be
>able to adapt to the progressives he asked me if I was claustrophobic.
>I am, at least moderately so.  He told me that his experience with
>claustrophobic people was that they were less likely (for reasons
>unknown) to be able to adapt to progressives.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Chuck you're right about being disoriented. It's more than objects not being
in focus or "funny" shaped. They bothered me so much that I had to take them
off to walk across the road to get the mail. I'm talking about a two lane
highway that has a curve a few houses away and a straight before that which
is long enough to enable cars get really moving. My normal way is to look and
also to listen for a car that is flying. The progresses disoriented me so
back that I couldn't assure myself  by listening that there was or wasn't a
car coming. I took them off and immediately could tell by sound that it was
alright to cross the road.

I'm not claustrophobic in a way that it bothers me to get in an elevator, but
I've never wanted to be in a crowd of people or have people, cars etc in "my
space".

What I did was to return bifocals and get a pair of distance glasses and a
pair of reading glasses. I'm having multiple problems with both that are hard
to explain.