[OM] Re: rechargable lithium ion batteries

Subject: [OM] Re: rechargable lithium ion batteries
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:47:18 -0600
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I find the best flash batteries these days to be Sanyo Eneloop.  If I'm
> shooting an event where I need fast recycling I will use a high voltage
> battery pack.  Other than that I'll use the Eneloops.  You can find much
> more capacity in other NiMH batteries (I hear they're up to 2800 mah
> now) but two sets of 2000 mah Eneloops is more than enough for any
> shooting situation I've ever seen and they can sit on the shelf for
> months (maybe even a year) without worrying about whether they still
> have a charge or not.

I recently bought the MAHA MH-C9000 battery charger (the one that has
the high-tech digital readout LCD on the front and does capacity
anlaysis of batteries).  I ran my three sets of Eneloops through it --
each set is *very* close to the stated capacity of 2000 mAh (within 50
mAh, typically), and all the batteries in the set are within about 2% to
3% of each other's capacity (so capacity-matching isn't a problem).
Other brands which won't be named (*COUGH*Energizer*COUGH*) claim a
capacity of 2500 mAh, but aren't even close (best I saw was just a hair
over 2200 mAh, with one cell below 1900 mAh), but much more worrying
from a capacity-matching point of view was that the little buggers'
capacities were all over the place.  A single set I had showed a
capacity range of almost 8% across 4 different cells -- that's enough to
deep-discharge the lowest-capacity cell when using all four of 'em in
one application for a long time, and possibly even reverse-charge the
lowest-capacity one.

I'll stick to Eneloops.  I'm now using the Energizers as test sets only.
  Haven't tried the Imedion cells yet, but they seem to be the same idea
as the Eneloops (and about the same capacity, too).

Garth