[OM] Re: Seattle trip and questions about the FL-50 vs. FL-50R flashes -

Subject: [OM] Re: Seattle trip and questions about the FL-50 vs. FL-50R flashes - also Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1
From: Olaf Greve <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:54:57 +0200
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, both sightseeing-wise as well as
flashwise!

Regarding the former: I'll send all suggestions off to my sister, so
we can make a good itinerary out of it. Taking a ferry ride will most
likely make it to the list. She mentioned Orca Island too, in this
respect, but perhaps we'll go for the Victoria one. Vancouver will
most likely be skipped, and Snoqualmie (SP?) will make it to the list
(my sister lives in issaquah, which apparently is nearby).
Also: for the one who mentioned having actually swum in the ocean off
the Oregonian coast, I bow in respect. I remember when we went to the
beach near Astoria in July when it was nice hot weather. We too
thought it would be a good idea to go for a swim, but I remember I
didn't make it further than ankle-deep as the water was so cold that
it felt as if my feet were being cut off in a vise or so. :P
Indeed; "cold" doesn't begin to describe it...

Regarding the latter: I'm still having difficulties deciding. I do
think it's a good idea to at least go for the most complete one
feature wise, so in that respect the FL-50R has the edge over the
FL-50 for me, even if I presently don't have a body that can make
(full) use of the differences between the two. So, unless someone can
tell me I'm grossly overlooking something, the choice has just been
narrowed down to the FL-50R and the Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1. This is
where matters become a bit vague for me. From the specs it sounds like
they're almost the same, but the Metz seems to have the advantage that
it's probably slightly cheaper and can have its firmware upgraded by
USB, which may or may not prove to be handy in this digital age.
Speaking of which: does anyone know if the firmware (if any) in the
FL-50R is also upgradable?
Also, I would guess the Metz is better interchangeable with other
brands, in the event I want to use it someday on a different brand body.
Either way, intuitively I'm inclined to give the Oly one the edge. So
I'm still open for good reasons to buy either the one or the other,
and one of my doubts is the current support for the 4/3 standard...
Anyone who can comment on this?

Finally: most likely I will have to make a decision today or tomorrow
(in order to leave time for ordering it), and I'm wondering if there
are perhaps any good accessories (or perhaps even combined deals) that
would be very smart to buy along with it. Right now, a softbox and an
off-camera TTL cable spring to mind. Can anyone comment on this too?

Cheers!
Olafo