[OM] Re: Seattle trip and questions about the FL-50 vs. FL-50R flashes -

Subject: [OM] Re: Seattle trip and questions about the FL-50 vs. FL-50R flashes - also Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:28:58 -0400
You might first ask users here of any TTL flash unit on a 4/3 body how
well it works in practice.  Since there is no digital analogue of OTF
exposure measurement, digital TTL flash control is dependent on
pre-exposure flash measurement and is more complex than what's in your
OM's.  For Canon, at least, it's both more complex than their OTF film
implementations while at the same time being less accurate.  It probably
explains why Canon has quietly reintroduced flash controlled auto mode
into the latest Canon flash flagship, the 580EX II.

Fortunately, the FL50R seems to have a flash controlled auto mode if I
read the specs right so it at least has that option to fall back on if
the TTL doesn't do its thing correctly.

Me, I'd go for a Vivitar 285HV at $90 from B&H.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt