[OM] GST in .au (was Re: Re: Buying in the US of A [was FL-50R flash -

Subject: [OM] GST in .au (was Re: Re: Buying in the US of A [was FL-50R flash - experiences with www.buydig.com?])
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:57:52 +0930
Interestingly, GST is collected at all stages of the chain from
manufacturer to retail, but is refunded to the middlemen at the
intermediate steps.

for example:

Manufacturer makes widgets & sells for, say, $100 ex tax. he collects an
extra $10 each at sale time & pays that to the tax office. (net GST paid by
manufacturer = $0 - ignoring parts/materials)

Distributor pays $110 each & sells at (say) $150 ex each. he collects
$15 for the tax office at sale time & they refund the original $10 he
paid (he passes on the net $5 tax on the $50 profit- net GST paid by
distributor after goods sold = $0).

Retailer pays $165 each & retails at say $300ex (or rather 330 inc.) The
$30 tax he collects is sent to the tax office & he can claim a credit
for the $15 he paid the distributor, thus passing on a net $15-  net GST
paid by retailer = $0)

the customer buys the widget at 330inc (=300 ex) & has paid the 10% GST.

It sounds complicated, but that is why <insert name of deity of choice>
invented accountants &  accounting software. basically one pushes the
right button & a statement of trade including  GST collected & paid out
pops out (a 'business activity statement'.

Simplistically the end user is the only one who pays the GST. Where it
DOES get REALLY complicated are the exceptions, like basic food or where
a business doesn't turn over enough $$.

davidt