[OM] Re: Focus stacking

Subject: [OM] Re: Focus stacking
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 08:32:48 -0400
DOF should have been about 2-1/2".  The total depth of the branch was
about 7" which I covered in 7 steps.  But I have yet to go back and
critically analyze the individual images or do something simple like
taking one pair of adjacent images and see how CZM fares with the
simpler case.

One possible big problem area is that there were several blossoms that
were sagging on their wilting stems.  I couldn't see it while shooting
but stepping back through the images quickly shows something of a
"movie" where 3 or 4 blossoms (out of a couple hundred) are seen to
drift downward by almost their full width.  I suppose it's possible that
that greatly confuses the software.  If I were to critically analyze the
images I suspect I might also find that the blossoms themselves were
starting to wilt and maybe are slightly different from frame to frame.

The branch seems to have recovered nicely after being placed in a vase
with water so maybe I'll need to do a reshoot while keeping it hydrated
in the vase rather than hanging in mid air from a clamp on a lightstand.
And I do have a focus slide from my bellows so I'll probably use that to
minimize magnification changes if I reshoot.

Chuck Norcutt