[OM] Re: Anybody used Chinese Internet mass retailer: www.eurcns.com ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anybody used Chinese Internet mass retailer: www.eurcns.com ?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 08:52:01 +0800
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>   The fact they list Western Union as the first way to pay them also
>  sounds pretty wonky to me.
>

>  > Interested if anybody has any experience, or if they are a total scam?
>
>   I have no experience, but all the signs point to "scam", if you ask me.

Certainly could be that.

As a foreigner living in China, though, my guess is just wonky (typical
Chinese, if I'm feeling cynical :-) rather than outright scam. This may
still mean worth avoiding. I'd be extremely surprised if their customer
service is up to Western standards.

In my experience, brands like Olympus, Samsung, Asus, Pentax, ...
are sometimes marginally less in China than prices I get checking
standard sources like NewEgg or B&H, or sometimes a bit more.
Chinese I know go to Hong Kong to save on such stuff.

It is complicated to get money in or out of China; there are government
controls on currency exchange. Western Union is widely used. Credit
cards are not.

The phone number they give on the web site is a mobile number. This
is quite common here, but still strikes me as odd.

Web site says they are in Zhengzhou, Henan province. That's an
inland city, not one of the coastal hubs of foreign trade. Map is
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/china_pol01.jpg
South of Beijing, rather central.

--
Sandy Harris,