[OM] White Balance & the E-510

Subject: [OM] White Balance & the E-510
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 00:00:05 -0400
Well, the E-510 two lens kit arrived a couple of weeks ago. Given
that I had other things to do, I think it took the better part of a
week to read through the manual, with camera in hand, and learn
what's available in the menus & buttons. Seems easy enough to use
despite the Microsoft mentality of offering three ways to accomplish
certain functions.

However, the one thing I'm having some difficulty with is the white
balance. I understand the concept (I think) but am not able to
translate it to photos with accurate enough color rendition.  I
haven't used Auto WB-seems everything I've read suggests not doing so
in most cases. Using the settings for bright sun, shade and clouds
yields mixed results.  As I understand it, if there's some white in
the scene to be photographed the WB will do well. So, to you users of
the E-410, E-500 & E-510 I'm asking what combination of settings
works best for your WB when in sunny, shady or cloudy conditions with
no discernable white object in the frame.

Custom WB seems to be the way to go if I want to carry around a piece
of white paper and change the reading whenever the ambient light
changes. I read about a gadget called Expodisc WB filter that snaps
on to your lens.
http://www.expoimaging.net/products/product_detail.php?prodid=2&productname=ExpoDisc_Digital_White_Balance_Filter_-_Neutral
Seems like an easy enough way to get the job done. Anyone every use
this sort of thing? Or have suggestions about how to go about trying
to get WB nailed down better?

Gary