[OM] Re: Printing at A2 ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Printing at A2 ?
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 19:47:54 +0200
IanW wondered about printing at A2 size. Since no one else responded in
the digest I will do so now.

I have seen (chemical!) prints from the E-1 in sizes up to 60*80cm which
were flawless. They were portrais and every hair is separately visible.
I would not hessitate to print that large if I wanted. Have seen prints
up to 90*120cm from the E-3 which were eaqually outstanding.

Some of the photos in the E-1 book made it to prints of about 200*250cm.
They also looked very good, but as they are printed on rough plastic to
be hung outside I cannot say they were really as sharp as the chemical
prints mentioned earlier.

Finally I once used an HP1000c Inkjet-plotter to make an A0 sized print
of one of my E-1 photos. Looked good enough for normal viewing distance
for that size, but was not good if looked at up close. I printed with
the normal office ink and normal paper normally used for printing
drawings. I think quality would improve quite a lot with photopaper for
the plotter. Unfortunately we hade none at ahnd at that time.

I decided against buying a photoprinter myself because of the total cost
per print. I can get very good prints for a lot less than I would pay
for the ink if I print myself. I just upload the photos and have my
prints returned to my home within a week.

YMMV

Wiliam