[OM] Re: (OM) Some E-1 shots used in a set of web-pages

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Some E-1 shots used in a set of web-pages
From: Donald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 00:34:46 +0100
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I presume that you are referring to the gut-wrenching anti-war song
> by Eric Bogle, 'The Band played Walzing Matilda',rather than the folk
> ditty that is the national song.
> I can't get more than a few tracks into a Bogle album without choking.
> I recommend 'Willie McBride' on the same topic.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

'The Band played...' was a rare treat in my folkie days, I heard several
good live interpretations of it. Never got the thing down pat myself,
but that was before the internet and OLGA. The man himself did it once
on a TV prog, I think, can't remember which one. It's a great song, a
heartbreaker.

I was just, by coincidence, planning a summer at the WW1 battlefields.
Maternal Grandad was in the 7th Argylls, a Territorial Battalion, with
service at Second Ypres, High Wood, Beaumont Hamel, Vimy Ridge, Roeux
Chemical Works, Poelcappelle, Cambrai, The German Offensive of 1918,
River Lawe, The Marne (1918), Greenland Hill and the Final Advance. He
and his brother came back physically unscathed.

D.