[OM] Re: Printing at A2 ?

Subject: [OM] Re: Printing at A2 ?
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 09:43:54 -0400
On May 4, 2008, at 2:07 AM, swisspace wrote:

> Hmmm  thanks for the replies  - I hadn't considered the media costs
> only that if you factor in the inks the 3800 is not so much more
> expensive than the 2400 printer, I maybe should have asked a
> different question and perhaps asked for opinions from anyone using
> the 3800.
>
> I think I will maybe wait and see what the new 2400 replacement
> offers when it arrives.

I think I missed earlier parts of this thread, so if I'm repeating
what others have said, please excuse. For me, the question revolves
around how much printing you're going to do. The higher end photo
printers by Epson and Canon do a wonderful job, but at a price, both
in hardware and consumables such as ink and paper.

Even at the price level of the 2400, you can have a lot of large
prints made at a good lab for the price of the 2400 _before_ buying a
full cart of inks. When you move up to the 3800 or the 4800, the
number of pro prints you can have done rises dramatically.

If you're printing for market, however, the 2400 or 3800 or 4800 (or
their latest iterations) make much more sense. I lumbered along
nicely for several years with a 2200, making nearly a thousand prints
a year. When the time came to move up, I went with the 4800. Probably
would have chosen a 3800, except I already had the 4800 up and
running when I found out about the 3800. Sigh. <g>  At any rate, I
make at least 2000 prints a year now (don't sell that many, but make
'em), so the higher hardware, ink and paper costs are worth the expense.

FWIW,

Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com