[OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas

Subject: [OM] Re: OT $4 a gallon gas
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 08:28:47 -0600
Chris Barker wrote:
> I suggest that you save your sympathy, Wiliam.  Larry runs a Rolls
> Royce and an old and no doubt inefficient one at that.  He knows full
> well that he need only change his machine for something more frugal to
> save his worry about the "exorbitant" price of fuel.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to buy $4.00 U.S./U.S. gallon of gas.  My
latest fill at my local Mohawk station was $1.39 CDN/litre, which worked
out to about $5.16 USD per U.S. gallon at today's exchange rates.  And I
live in Calgary, the supposed centre of the universe when it comes to
petroleum.

The only reason that wasn't a LOT higher is because Canada's dollar's
gained so much compared to the U.S. buck, and petroleum prices are
denoted in U.S. dollars on the world market.  If the exchange rate
stayed where it was in (say) November of 2002, our prices would be
somewhere north of $7.50 USD per U.S. gallon.

I fear the worsening of the exchange rate.  8^>

That being said, my wife uses public transit to go to her work, and I
work from home.  The Passat only gets used for grocery runs and to visit
friends/family or to go on jaunts to the mountains.  There's more than
one way that "lifestyle" can be used to counteract the worst effects of
high fuel prices.  The bicycles are all tuned up and ready to roll
(assuming we ever truly get spring and summer round these parts...).

Garth