[OM] Re: Interesting outdoors/underwater p/s : stylus1030

Subject: [OM] Re: Interesting outdoors/underwater p/s : stylus1030
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:40:21 +0100
Hi Everyone,

Coming out of lurk mode temporarily as this one interested me.

I have been looking around for a basic (but good quality) P&S for SWMBO.
She likes the quality from the Oly E330, but doesn't want the
size/weight and doesn't want to learn how to use it.  She keeps
returning to the old disposable film cameras and being disappointed with
the results.

So I started looking around at the Oly P&S offerings and would welcome
your thoughts on them.  I suppose the basic use will be "general"
snapshots & simple photography.  Mixture of people shots & landscapes -
nothing too adventurous I suspect.  Underwater capability really not
required, though some durability / weatherproofing is a good thing.

A lot of the ones I've looked at seem to have 35mm-105mm (or
thereabouts) optical zooms.  To me this is a little tight on the wide
end.  One I looked at was 28mm - about 100mm and this seemed to be a
better option (can't remember which now - having all the models
identified by numbers is a recipe for confusion).

So far I have been reading numerous reviews and looking through some
online catalogues.  A couple that stood out as possibles were the FE280
or FE290, and the MJU820 (I think that's the stylus 820 in the US ?).
Whilst these seem reasonable, a lot of reviews have mentioned shutter
lag and write-times for all the Oly P&S cameras as being slow.

OK, so I guess I'm after thoughts and advice, and your experiences with
what you use.

Regards,

Jon