[OM] Re: Interesting outdoors/underwater p/s : stylus1030

Subject: [OM] Re: Interesting outdoors/underwater p/s : stylus1030
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 21:06:54 -0700
Jon Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Coming out of lurk mode temporarily as this one interested me.
>
> I have been looking around for a basic (but good quality) P&S for SWMBO.
> She likes the quality from the Oly E330, but doesn't want the size/weight and
> doesn't want to learn how to use it.  She keeps returning to the old
> disposable film cameras and being disappointed with the results.
>
> So I started looking around at the Oly P&S offerings and would welcome your
> thoughts on them.  I suppose the basic use will be "general" snapshots &
> simple photography.  Mixture of people shots & landscapes - nothing too
> adventurous I suspect.
If you are committed to Oly, I'm not much help. The
weather/water/crunch/drop resistant line is outstanding for that need.
Otherwise, they are offering just so-so P&S cameras.

If Carol Anne didn't have my old F10 - and I didn't have a spare A710
IS....  I'd be looking first to the Panasonic TZ5 Sure, there are some
IQ issues with the tiny sensor, but the smearies appear to have been
improved a bit. Compared to a disposable film camera, we're talking 767
vs. Wright biplane.

Responsive, easy to use, 28-280 zoom, reasonable size and price. Looks
like a terrific travel and casual camera. Of course, I'm a tele eye guy,
so that long end is enticing.

Moose