[OM] Re: Celebrating Cinco de Mayo

Subject: [OM] Re: Celebrating Cinco de Mayo
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 09:18:08 -0500
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> In all my travels lengthwise and widthwise across this land I have
> _never_ heard anyone pronounce it mawmy.
>
> Up here in Occupied Canada, mumma is heard. Across the frontier in
> New Brunswick, one hears mum. Where I grew up, maw or mom or
> sometimes momma. I've heard mommy, but usually from effete little
> twits, momma's boys, or those reaching for sarcasm. Never have I
> heard mawmy. Clean the spotted dick out of your ears. <insert smiley
> preference here>

And "Mummy" would only be correct if you were ancient Egyptian, or one
of those stuffy Brits who pronounce stuff wrong, like aluminum. Notice,
only one "i" in aluminum.

;-P

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon