[OM] Re: Kite Aerial Photography, light weight camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Kite Aerial Photography, light weight camera
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 11:03:49 -0700 (PDT)
Get a bigger kite.  :)  I've got a couple of large deltas that I'll run in a
stack which will carry about fifty pounds in a 15 knot wind.  We've actually
used them to suspend antennas during ham radio's Field Day events. Our most
ambitious project was a 160M curtain antenna suspended from the kites seperated
and trimmed to pull it taut.

You can rig a pulley system using 60# spectra line.  The kites use their own
lines, but the camera is suspended from below the kite (usually from a harness
attached below the primary line's attachment point so it doesn't affect the
balance.  Have enough line to go up to the kite and back down to the ground and
tie the ends together to form a huge loop.  Attach to this loop line a harness
for the camera. Also, come of with some form of quick-release gripper mechanism
(even something as simple as a carebiner which you can wrap the line through a
few times so it doesn't slip) which is approximately the same weight as the
camera (or heavier).

Now, for the camera bit.  Just about anything will work, provided you are ready
to do some surgery on the camera.  Open the camera up to access the
shutter-release switch.  What you will want to do is short-out the leads that
tell the camera to take the picture.  Get a set of those dirt-cheep eb@y
wireless flash transmitters.  Again, by doing a little surgury take the
receiver and attach the sync cord leads to the switch.  Now you have a radio
transmitter controlled camera.  Unfortunately, the eb@y triggers are a bit
quick for some cameras, so a tiny capacity soldered across the leads will help
lengthen the pulse enough for the camera to work.

This is VERY easy to do with the OM body and Winder-1 or Winder-2.  With a
$1.25 micro to mini plug adaptor, you can attach the eb@y receiver to the
winder.  Unfortunately again, the pulse is a bit short and doesn't completely
fire the cycle.  Sometimes it takes two or three pushes of the transmitter to
get the camera to take the picture and advance the film. This is something that
a capacitor helps address though.

If you camera is REALLY high, you might need to construct a booster antenna for
the transmitter.

AG

Be a better friend, newshound, and