[OM] Re: What to buy, what to buy.

Subject: [OM] Re: What to buy, what to buy.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 22:01:14 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Print full size on SuperA4 and trim or matte the print.

What??? The perfectly logical series of paper sizes all in only one
boring aspect ratio of the sqrt of 2 isn't the be and end all?

Super A4? 227x356mm, ~ 9x14", 1.57 ratio.

Where's that come from? Is Descartes on acid? May we be saved from pure
logical rationality and reductionism?

I like the "English" system of measurement for a couple of primary reasons:

It relates to my body. My foot is about a foot long. The length from my
nose to fingertips is about a yard. The final phlange of my thumb is
about an inch long. I much prefer that to a system that is al based on
conceptions of the mind.

Also, I like being part of the last holdout against worldwide standards
imposed by a bunch of technocrats.

I don't know how a true curmudgeon could be comfortable supporting such
a system of conformity.

Moose