[OM] Re: What to buy, what to buy.

Subject: [OM] Re: What to buy, what to buy.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 22:24:17 -0700
Jan Steinman wrote:

> Ah Moose, how unlike you to spout off about something you know nothing about.
> :-)
>
> <snip a bunch of descriptive stuff>
Actually, I do know that stuff. Why did I bother to reply to Andrew,
when you have so neatly summarized the very reasons I dislike it?

> But the US is #1. They don't need no stinking good ideas from the rest of the
> world. End of argument.

Piss on that! How about being different just because it feels good. Is
sameness good for you? Didn't you leave the US because you couldn't
stand to live in a culture that didn't agree with you? Good for you, but
now how about letting us get on with being us, while you be something
else. Does it hurt someone in Europe when I print photos on 8x10" or
letters on 8.5x11" paper? (See below)

Big end or little end, it's just an egg. Don't try to reform me, I won't
try to reform you, and we can all enjoy and be nourished equally by our
breakfasts.

Why does the world all have to be the same? The Cartesian revolution has
done many useful things. It's also at the heart of much that's is wrong
with the current Western world. Logic is not the answer to the hungers
of the body and soul.
> I tell you, if the US were less arrogant, and weren't so good at printing
> little bits of green paper, they'd be using the A-B-C system as well. Saves
> the rest of the world at least 10% on printing costs,
> not to mention 10% fewer trees cut down for the same number of sheets of
> paper.

You must go much further with analysis to prove this point. If I use
half as many pages double the area of someone else to publish the smae
number of words and area of images, the cost and tree usage are just the
same. I'm not claiming there is no difference, only that you have not
shown one. If you are arguing for logic and rationality, stick to it in
making your arguments.
> Tomorrow's lesson: how the US suffers from not using the metric system.

Bring it on.

An Argumentative Moose