[OM] Re: The Annie Liebowitz Controversy

Subject: [OM] Re: The Annie Liebowitz Controversy
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 02:07:42 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> No, it's the social 'our'.

Against which any curmudgeon worth his salt would rail. I know bloody
well what it is, and it's my duty to speak out against it.
> It is acceptable to use broad generalisations mate
See above.
>  and the entire fashion industry is against your personal tastes.
See above.
> Actually it's not too accurate - the Greeks at least preferred what we would
> call a healthy build - neither thin nor fat - and the Romans usually copied
> Greek art anyway.

That was part of somebody else's post. I don't care about their taste,
then or now.
> I like a rather more lateral reason for the fashion industry  preferring
> skinny, young girls - most fashion designers are gay male and prefer models
> that look like young boys. I don't know if it is
> true in either category but it's amusingly plausible.

I think Winsor's right, male or female, the designers simply don't
actually like women and don't want them to get in the way of the pretty
fabric constructions game.
> But in all this, my views are coloured by by the experience of an
> acquaintance who happened to be following her 12 year old schoolgirl daughter
> down the street past a bar late one afternoon and saw the verbal treatment
> the girl received from the drunken smokers on the patio outside. Said patrons
> were quite disturbed to be very loudly informed that she was 12yo and that
> they were they were "useless filthy f***ing paedophiles"...

It has appalled me how young my granddaughters became flirts, with
mannerisms way too sexy. I wonder, though if this is particularly new to
our age and culture.

Moose