[OM] Re: How about those Red Wings an alternate discussion for those out

Subject: [OM] Re: How about those Red Wings an alternate discussion for those out o
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 15:21:25 -0700
Gordon Ross wrote:
> .... Although it isn't life fulfilling or profound it is more entertaining
> than cynicism.

Your opinion, to which you are entitled.

Personally, I much prefer Cioran to the Red Wings.

I disagree personally with almost everything he says, being myself happy
and optimistic to an extent that others sometimes find excessive. But
somehow, I find the fierce and unflagging negativism of his viewpoint
and his expressed experience of life quite enjoyable, bracing, even.

"Lucidity's task: to attain a correct despair, an Olympian ferocity"

For me, ice hockey manages to trivialize violence by making it
repetitive and boring. That doesn't seem to me to be a particularly
useful thing to do.

It's quite far down on the list of sports I don't follow - which is all
of them. Well below Irish Field Hockey, where the weapons are more
efficient, nobody wears pads, no substitutions and the blood, and
occasionally the broken bone ends, are out in the open. Low hypocrisy
factor. The primitive violence that underlies all competitive sport
largely unmasked.

Oh my, I sound a little like Cioran in that last sentence - using words
like cudgels.

Moose