[OM] Re: Low cost backup

Subject: [OM] Re: Low cost backup
From: Scott Peden <scotpeden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 21:59:54 -0700
You only have one back up? Is it stored in the same building as your
main drive? Is it connected to the outlet at the same time when not in use?

I have one in my home, one in storage, and for the Parks information,
one at their District HQ. It takes a little time to do it, but I lost 6
weeks of photos once, and that data is not retrievable. I've lost stuff
to roofs caving in from rain or trees or plugged gutters, (not computer
stuff, but in the past at homes and storage) and stuff that was hooked
up from power flash backs thats the UPS/ Surge protectors where the
first thing to go and the power back surge was finally stopped by my
hard drive......

I've got about 232 G of really important stuff about 326 total, a 500 MB
WD basic is $140-160.00 and I can't do DVD back ups for that price.
Considering I've only had one Hard drive, of dozens, actually give out,
but not before it was able to be copied, I'd consider any hard drive
that was only used 2-3 hours every 2-3 months a decent safety factor if
in triplicate.