[OM] Re: Tripod height

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod height
From: <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:54:53 -0400
Cc: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I looking at the wrong list of tripods, or is centre column extension not
> really the issue it's made out to be, or...?

Michael,

Here's an opportunity for widely diverging opinions. There are those that, like
photojournalists, that rarely, if ever use a tripod, and they won't feel bad
about using a bit of center column extension. There are others, that I call the
tripod police, that don't think a photo is worth taking unless with one. Those
are the people that travel with one, and clog up tourist destinations and
airport lines.

I have two Tiltalls and a Gitzo, and I almost always use a bit of extension,
especially with the Tiltalls, as at just a hair over 5'7", I need it. I don't
see a problem, but I don't spend too much time worrying.

If you begin to feel that one is always needed and your photos aren't all that
sharp,, look at Cartier-Bresson, not always a paragon of sharpness.

Bill Pearce