[OM] Re: Tripod height

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod height
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:03:14 -0700
I like RRS gear but ... I got the cheapest RRS ballhead, BH-25. The
action isn't nearly as nice as the Acratech. Searching the internet I
found others mentioned a slight stick and slip to the RRS ballheads.
I've never noticed that with the Acratech. I'm very happy with the
Acratech and only got the BH-25 in pursuit of a screwball macro
experiment which I haven't followed up on.

When you get a head think carefully about the lens & camera plates. If
you have the knob clamp on the quick release, almost any plate will
work. If you go with a lever clamp quick release, the plates are not
nearly as interchangeable. The lever release is great. I had a tripod
blow over which cost me nearly $500. With the lever release, popping
the camera off the head is so easy there is no reason to leave it
exposed to accidents.

jeff