[OM] Re: Tripod height

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod height
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 19:13:30 -0700
Many/most tripods are nominally designed to be small enough when
folded up to fit into a suitcase.  The center column adds to the
collapsed height. So the tripods end up being somewhat shorter than
eye level. The heavier duty tripods may not have a center column
allowing each of the leg sections to be longer. Unfortunately they
don't seem to make a similar style in lighter weight tripods.

If you are standing around in a blind taking pictures of birds or
doing astrophotography with the camera pointed up most of the time the
height could be an issue. When I am walking around most of my time is
not spent looking through the viewfinder so a lower height isn't a
problem (I think I'm still 5'10" tall).

I seldom use the center column and replaced it with a short one so
that the tripod could get closer to ground level for macro shots.

-jeff