[OM] Korean gear drive tripod head - Photoclam Multiflex

Subject: [OM] Korean gear drive tripod head - Photoclam Multiflex
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:14:59 -0700
Having burned up too many hours making minor adjustments in photoshop
to real estate pictures I finally sucumbed to a gear drive head. It is
a copy of the Arca Swiss cube. At half the price of the Arca Swiss, it
is still insanely priced with no US distribution yet. Advertisements
seem to only exist on their web site (in Korean). In fact it came
fresh from the factory in a box for the ball head they make.
Apparently they have just started shipping them. Surprisingly it did
have a couple sheets of english instructions.

http://www.photoclam.co.kr/html/product/product_page_info.htm?key=48
(animation in middle of page)

Build quality seems to be excellent. It is lubed with very viscous
grease making all movements fairly slow. With a large camera mounted
on it, the movement seems very nice. The levels also seem to be filled
with a viscous liquid making them slow to respond to changes.

At 950g it won't replace my Acratech head but with the dual panning
swivels and what appears to be enough strength to hold my heaviest and
largest gear it has its place and will get a lot of use.

-jeff