[OM] Re: Anyone Home?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone Home?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:24:56 -0300
C.H. and Moose,

Happy you both liked the horse. The halo is present in the Provia, very
thin and bright, with an undefined color except around the neck and ears
where it's wider and has a red-magenta hue. Sun light reached the
horse's shoulder and head but not his belly and feet. I didn't want this
detail to go unnoticed, and tried magic wand ->
sharpen-brightness-saturation, and even refine edges, but the more I
tried the more noticeable the artifacts were :-(
In the meanwhile I had trouble with the faint green the grass shows in
the Provia (rendered gray in the scan), but solved this by selecting and
adjusting green curve only. Last, I was not able to sharpen and increase
bright at the feet hair only - very frustrating working with a 16 bit
112 MB .tiff.

C.H. is right about focus plane is in front of the horse ... too many
things to keep under control and the horse was dark in the viewfinder
while I was approaching him very slowly: needless to say, as soon as he
heard the shutter he headed away ...

Marc:

> I like the horse the most, and had a look at it with the tree on the
> right cropped out, centralising the horse, and I like that symmetry even
> more.

Ah, yes Marc. But I promised myself to show only uncropped images ...
lol :-)
That's why I crawled slowly as near as possible: to get rid of the tree
in the original ! - there's always time to crop, but this is the best I
could get when shooting.
> The one with the fence is interesting. I can see an eye on the left, a
> little nose sticking out on the right, and what looks like a rusty, iron
> fez being worn. They're lovely textures all round.
Wow ... you make me happy :-) - me too I like that one very much. There
were several possible compositions which I simplified to only three
shots. Months later, I decided this was the one worthwhile scanning: a
"constructive" composition, complementary textures, and a playful DOF.

Thanks all for looking and commenting.

Fernando.