[OM] Re: 1st traditional wedding shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: 1st traditional wedding shoot
From: "Jez Cunningham" <jez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 19:26:10 +0200
In English law there's no such thing as a common-law wedding.  (It's
also a myth that a ship's captain can marry anyone.)  You go to a
Registry Office or a Church.  If you want to dispute this, then try it
with the lawyers when the person you thought was your partner dies.

But it certainly exists in some other places - eg Marc has told us
what he plans to do in Australia where the concept of a 'de facto'
partner exists.  But when you arrive here as an expat in Belgium with
a 'de facto wife' you find it's not recognised everywhere outside Oz!

Anyway as I understand it, the idea of the marriage ceremony and
celebrations goes back to times before there were written records (or
before most people could read) and the fact that a couple were married
was dependent on witnesses.  If there was a huge piss-up there's a
good chance of those present remembering it and supporting the
couple's claims to be married.

But long live fornication... :-)
Jez