[OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose

Subject: [OM] Re: Exciting times chez Moose
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:17:34 +1000
Wrong - older eucalypts always rot in the core. Known to loggers as
'mudguts' because of the material within. Once they have a clean
inner void they are stronger (a tube is stronger than a rod) and
provide a habitat for birds, possums and bats. That's a very poor
assessment of relative strength and health.
I know where there are some fine old exotic redwoods around here -
don't think we'll pull them out just because they drop a bit of
litter and might fall over sometime in the next hundred years or so.
Harrumph!
Would love to get rid of all the wretched Monterey Pines thought (P.
radiata).
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx