[OM] Re: 25mm f2.8 DZ

Subject: [OM] Re: 25mm f2.8 DZ
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 08:01:32 +1000
Those have all been tweaked for colour and had LCE applied - I shoot
with sharpening 'off' and colour set to 'normal' or 'standard' or
whatever it is. Some have been seriously worked - the corner house
has been perspective shifted and saturated as it reminded me of a
Jeffery Smart painting. Oh, and I had a bit of fun with the mannikins...
The yellow flower which I think is an Abutillon is at the very limit
of close focus, around 5" for most of you and 120-130mm for the rest
of us. The focus isn't quite where I want it, but then this isn't a
macro lens. It has 1/64th flash too. The apples are not much further
away. I can't remember old 50mm lenses getting this close but that's
an advantage of a true 25mm focal length I suppose. Bokeh seems quite
nice but I didn't look for out of focus highlights or try to include
them. I went over these images at 100% and sometimes 200% -
resolution wasn't tack-sharp or anything like that but the quality
was nice. The dynamic range was limited, with the shadows in the
mannikin shot showing a fair bit of chroma noise at 100iso (now
blurred off) but I forgot to use he 'shadow enhancement' tool in
camera, which is supposed to extend range after the shot is taken. I
might go back and fiddle with that this morning to see what it does.

I was interested by Oly's promotional materials. They make a big
point of saying and showing that the E-420 is light enough for
chimping. Also, not one of the models in the brochure pix, including
those shown using the camera, is male. The demographic is female -
it's a girliecam. Perhaps us shaky old blokes with big fat hands
should wait for the E-510. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the E-1 I picked
up cheaply. That's a solid camera.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx